Wednesday 3 November 2010

Oh the joys of hostel living!

I'm not really sure if I've ever had such violent thoughts towards another person before.
There is a man in my hostel room that seriously has a problem. I didn't even know that it was physically possible to snore SO loud. He does more than snore. He scream snores. It's a whole new type... and apparently Indian men in their 50's have pretty much perfected it.

I met this really sweet Australian girl named Maggie. I actually met her at my hostel in Florence but as it turns out we're in the same room here in Zurich. Her and I both barely got any sleep the first night we were in our room because of this man's obnoxious snoring. It's not even like it has any sort of rhythm to it to give us any hope of falling alseep. He will snore, grunt, stop breathing, gasp for air, continue snoring, and never ever ever stop. It's exhausting! After the first night i was so tired during the day and Maggie and I decided to go take a nap to try and get a bit of rest before probably another terrible nights sleep. However, ten minutes after we layed down our least best friend walked in the room and decided to take a nap as well. Obviously snoring his little heart away. That's when my violent thoughts started.

Sometimes my imagination is sort of funny. I think up scenarios in my head and take my time playing them out. I imagined working up the guts to just sit up in bed and yell at him to read a book or something because the only reason we were having a nap while in beautiful Zurich was because we didn't get a wink of sleep the night before thanks to his scream snoring. (imagine that whole thing typed in capitals for effect.... also imagine me with my arms straight at my sides with my hands in little fists and my cheeks all red). I also imagined taking all the pillows in the entire room and placing them on his face while i sat on the pillows. Legs crossed, arms folded, and grinning slightly. (I'm scaring myself) I then imagined making a recording of myself... not snoring, not scream snoring, just plain screaming... and placing it in a very secret spot and turning it on the next night when he started to snore again. However, in that case i wouldn't get to sleep either. I just think it would be funny. My imagination went on for quite a while like this... then i gave up on my nap, shot him a couple if-looks-could-kill kind of looks, and left the room.

I am losing my mind.

Besides my horrible roommate... Zurich is great! The hostel is quite tiny and in a great location so i love it. I think i prefer smaller hostels because then it's much easier to meet people.

Maggie and I have hung out for the past 2 days and had a great time. We went to the supermarket and decided to buy some healthy food and eat for cheaper for a change. Our hostel has a kitchen as well which is a nice treat! Especially since being in Switzerland is a bit ridiculous as far as costs go. As i was leaving the train station i looked into a Burger King and saw that a burger alone was 15 franks. Franks are pretty well equal with the Canadian dollar which is kind of nice so i don't have to try and convert everything in my head but also annoying because everything is so expensive! So supermarkets are the perfect solution to still eat well and for a bit less money.

I did splurge one night! Maggie and I decided that while in Switzerland we might as well try fondue since they're pretty famous for it. A restaurant just 2 doors over from our hostel had a cheese fondue that we had be eyeing all day. We had to make a reservation and it was very well worth it. Expensive... but i figure that's ok if i don't do that all the time.

Zurich is a very charming place. I'm staying right by the river which is beautiful right now because all the leaves on the trees along the river are changing colour and falling. I was walking along the street and recognized the same smell of autumn that i smell at home. There's all sorts of unique shops and restaurants. I've mostly done alot of window shopping but i really enjoy walking down the street and people watching.

I went to a design museum which i expected to be much more impressive than it was. It was just a small display at the moment about make up. Not make up as in cosmetics but more or less about materials and design. It was probably really neat but i think it was a bit lost on me.

I found out that the Lindt chocolate factory is just a little bit out of Zurich and got so excited! So i looked online and found out that the factory wasn't open for tours at this time. That's the bad thing sometimes about travelling during non peak seasons. So i just went to the supermarket and bought a bunch of chocolate and decided to do my own sort of taste testing. When in Switzerland...

So i leave already for Austria tomorrow. Kind of hoping that i'll have the same kind of luck with weather that i've had since being here. It's not nearly as cold as i was expecting! Always good news for me.

Also, Maggie and I decided to meet around the 14th of November in Poland. We met so many people at the hostel here in Zurich who were absolutely raving about Poland so we decided that we should go together. It wasn't even on my list of places to go at all... but that's the nice thing about not being organized. I haven't planned my whole trip out so i have a lot of flexibility to change whatever vague plans i did make. I'm excited to meet up with her again and explore Poland. Also excited because it's supposed to be cheap for a change! My bank needs a bit of a break. The food is meant to be really good in Poland as well. While in Krakow i really want to make a trip to Auschwitz. It will be interesting to compare it to my experience in Germany when i went to Dachau.
 
Now... to pack my bags... again and prepare for another night with the dreaded roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment